What is Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering?
Do you love aircrafts? Are you always curious about how an aeroplane functions and soars through the sky? If you’ve got all “Yes!”, Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering may be your ideal course of study. Let us fly you through the course and what may be in store for you.
In Malaysia, many aviation manufacturing companies hire aerospace engineers to perform maintenance services on various types of aircraft. A course in aerospace would propel you to develop and instil different types of manufacturing systems for a certain type of aircraft, develop maintenance programs and meet production quotas while overseeing a team of engineers on the factory floor. The job is highly technical in nature and may require extensive on-the-job training.
What are the subjects covered by the course?
What are the requirements to study the course?
- Pass SPM with at least a Credit in THREE (3) subjects including Mathematics and a Pass in English Language.
- A minimum C Grade at SPM/GCE O-Levels or equivalent in any two subjects chosen from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics/Additional Mathematics.
- A minimum C Grade at GCE A-Levels in Mathematics/Additional Mathematics, one Science subject, two other subjects.
- Students should possess a Bachelor Degree in Engineering with CGPA of at least 3.00 or 2.75 or Bachelor Degree in Sciences with CGPA of at least 3.25 or 3.00.
- At least three years of working experience in relevant field is preferred.
*Entry requirements may vary for different institutions.
What does the education pathway look like?
SPM/O-Levels > STPM/A-Levels/International Baccalaureate (IB)/Foundation/Diploma/Other Pre-University Courses > Undergraduate Degree > Masters Degree > Doctorate Degree (PhD)
What are the career prospects for this course?
Aerospace Engineering graduates are employed at aviation and aerospace manufacturing companies. For instances, Malaysia Airlines, Air Asia, Strand Aerospace, etc. Besides, Aerospace Engineering graduates are also in high demand in the automotive field such as Formula 1 Car Racing, Motor GP, Lotus Cars Malaysia, etc.
What skills do you need for this course?
Where can you study this course?
- University of Southampton, Malaysia (twinning programme in the UK)
- Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
- Management and Science University (MSU) – Diploma
- Universiti Tun Hussien Onn Malaysia (UTHM)
- Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia
- Kolej TAFE Seremban
- Nilai University – Diploma